- This event has passed.
CANCELLED – 3/7/2020 – Pali Lookout Volunteer Work Day
March 7, 2020 @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
THIS EVENT IS CANCELLEDUE TO SEVERE WEATHER. Mahalo for your understanding.
How to Get There:
The Pali Lookout Native garden is located at the Nuʻuanu Pali State Wayside, which is just off of the Pali Highway.
Approximate address: Nuʻuanu Pali State Wayside, Pali Hwy, Honolulu, HI 96817
What to Expect: We will be using small hand tools, including sickles, trowels and shovels to remove weeds and plant in the native garden area. If plants are available, we will plant several species of native plants. The work area is steep in some areas, and muddy at times, so please be prepared to get dirty on this trip! *Participants must wear closed toed shoes. No Shoes No Work!
March 7th Work Plan (Tentative):
– 8:30am – Meet at Pali Lookout garden area, check-in, complete and collect waivers, introductions.
– 8:45am – Moʻolelo of Ka Nuku (Pali Lookout) and Wahi Pana of Koʻolaupoko.
– 9:00am – Workday and safety briefing, pass out tools and start weeding areas.
– 11:00am – If plants are available, we will begin planting and mulching. If not, continue weeding areas.
– 12:00pm – Wrap up working, collect tools and equipment, mahalos and pau!
What to Wear and Pack:
– COMPLETED WAIVERS REQUIRED for EACH participant
– SHOES ARE REQUIRED. Remember No Shoes No Work!
– LONG PANTS ARE REQUIRED. (long sleeve shirt that can get dirty also recommended)
– Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
– Reusable water bottle(s) and plenty of water (1/2 gallon recommended)
– Snacks and lunch
– Insect repellant and any medications needed
– Rain jacket (in case of inclement weather)
*All tools and gloves will be provided*
There are no bathrooms at the lookout. Participants will need to trek in the bushes or drive to the nearest bathroom at Nuʻuanu Park. There are many bees flying around the area; make sure you have medication if you are allergic.
Deadline to sign up is March 5th!!
*You must sign-up ahead of time to participate. Drop-ins are not allowed.
Questions? Email: email@example.com or call 808-426-8071.
Make sure to subscribe to our volunteer email list to get the announcements about our monthly workdays straight to your inbox! Sign up here: http://bit.ly/subscribeKMWP