Ko‘olau Mountains Watershed Partnership
Working together to protect and sustain the forests, waters and people of the Ko‘olau Mountains
E kala mai, in light of the current COVID-19 situation, KMWP will be cancelling the Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail Volunteer Day. Thank you again signing up and taking time to volunteer with us.
Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail is located mauka of Kalani High School in the Ahupua’a of Wai’alae. The lower part of the trail is dominated by non-native/invasive weeds like Ironwood and Strawberry Guava. As you make your way along the trail, you will start to see native forest trees like ‘Ōhi’a and Koa on your way to the summit.
How to Get There
Approximate Address: 2390 Okoa Street, Honolulu, HI 96821.
The Wiliwilinui Trailhead is located in the gated community at the top of Laukahi St. onto Okoa St. Must stop at the guard shack and driver shows I.D. to receive a parking pass. Park in the small parking area at the end of Okoa St. is on your way up to the trail head.
What to Expect
We will be hiking 1.5 hours along an easy to moderate slope on uneven terrain with some short, narrow spans and steep dropoffs along the trail. The trail is at an incline in some areas, and muddy at times, so please be prepared to get dirty on this trip! We will be removing invasive species on this trip, utilizing hand tools with blades and sharp edges that must be handled carefully. We will also be eating lunch during the hike. No Shoes, no participation!
March 21st Hike Plan (tentative)
– 8:30am-8:45am Meet at trailhead near locked gate, all waivers signed and collected, Introductions, safety briefing, protocol before starting hike
– 8:45am-10:15am Hike with stops along the way
– 10:15am-10:30am Rest/Snack Break
– 10:30am -12:00pm Remove invasive species from area, continue up the trail
– 12:00pm -12:30pm Lunch
– 12:30pm -3:00pm Hike back to trailhead, continue to remove invasive species on the hike down, Mahalos and Pau!
What to Wear and Pack
– COMPLETED WAIVERS REQUIRED for EACH participant
– SHOES ARE REQUIRED. Hiking boots are recommended
– LONG PANTS ARE REQUIRED. (long sleeve shirt that can get dirty also recommended)
– Hat, sunglasses and sunscreen
– Reusable water bottle(s) and plenty of water (1/2 gallon recommended)
– Snacks and lunch — THIS IS AN ALL DAY WORKDAY AND WE WILL BE EATING LUNCH ON THE TRAIL, MAKE SURE TO BRING IT!
– Insect repellent and any medications needed
– Rain jacket (in case of inclement weather)
*All tools and gloves will be provided*
Many plants are flowering; please let us know of any medical conditions or allergies before hike. *KMWP Staff is certified in Wilderness First Aid. We carry cell phones and first aid kits in case of emergency* Also, there are no bathrooms; participants will need to trek into the bushes
**DUE TO LIMITED PARKING AT THE TRAILHEAD, SPACE IS AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST 8 VOLUNTEERS!**
Deadline to sign up is March 18th!!
*You must sign-up ahead of time to participate. Drop-ins are not allowed.
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808-426-8071.
Make sure to subscribe to our volunteer email list to get the announcements about our monthly workdays straight to your inbox! Sign up here: http://bit.ly/subscribeKMWP